Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tarrant County Homeless Coalition

It isn't often that I get to take pictures for a good cause, while also presenting a photographic challenge. But back in January 2009 I had the opportunity to document the Homeless Count in Tarrant County. This is organized by the Tarrant County Homeless Coalition and is done every few years to take census of homeless persons in Tarrant County. This Count secures much needed funding for people who have very little. We spent the night searching back streets, underpasses and fields looking for the people we generally overlook. The volunteers that participate in this search are brave humanitarians. The reason I'm posting this blog now is that the Tarrant County Homeless Coalition has published a new website and I am honored that they are using some of my images from that night. I encourage you to use the link above to check out their site, learn more about their efforts and find a way to participate.

Now, for the photographic challenge. How do you capture people at night, while respecting their privacy and not use a flash???

1. Bump the ISO! I cranked my Canon 40D to it's upper limits then used some "smoothing" software in post.
2. Make good use of ambient/existing light. The photo below is in the woods, at night, total darkness. The only light is from the flashlight reflecting against the clipboard. I really liked his smile.
3. Hold still! I would hold my breath before each shot to ensure I was perfectly still.
4. Speed is key, use a prime lens. For this I used a Canon 50mm f1.8.

Please visit www.ahomewithhope.org/

-Brian

No comments: