Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Stickel's

On Saturday I photographed the Stickel's. They're a very nice couple who live in Dallas. When I spoke with Geoff on the phone he told me he really wanted some great black and white photos of he and his wife. I really enjoy black and white photography so I knew it was going to be fun.

They are a very cool couple and have a great sense of style so that really added to the photos. There was a slight wind that really moved her hair back and made this photo.



The next two photos are not in black and white, but the light setup and background I was using really worked with these effects.



A lot of times when I'm shooting I know people want "perfectly" lit photos. This usually means to pull all of the shadow off of the subject and the background. But for black and white photography I think it's more important to shoot for the shadows. In the next two photos I used one light to the right of the camera and pulled the exposure down. This really gave some good shadows on the right side of the photos.
I like deep contrast and deep blacks in my black and white photographs. Their facial expressions combined with the b&w really make this photo feel timeless.

Thanks to the Stickel's for having me over and being great models. I really enjoyed shooting with both of you.

Brian

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have spent 27 years as an art director with major metropolitan newspapers and have had the pleasure of working with many photographers in my past. I just want to say that my experienc with Brian as a subject while he shot both myself and my wife, was extraordinary! Brian obviously enjoys his craft and is also very easy to work with. Thank you so much Brian from both Salmeh and myself.

The Stickel's